Carson City is a small city with a population of slightly over 54,000 people. As The State Capital of Nevada, it was recognized by the USA Today Nationally in 2015 as the Best Travel Worthy State Capital.
Carson City is located in west central Nevada, not far from Lake Tahoe. Just twenty minutes south of Reno, Nevada. Carson City also has the honor of being the smallest of the 361 Metropolitan Statistical Areas (MSA) designated by the U.S. Census Bureau.
- Carson City was founded in the boom days of silver mining during the 1860’s. It is named after the explorer Kit Carson.
- The city has served as the capital of Nevada since statehood in 1864 and for much of its history was a hub for the Virginia and Truckee Railroad, although the tracks were removed in the 1950s.
- Carson City’s record high was on a July day and it was 105 degrees.
- Carson City’s record low was on a February night and it was -22 degrees.
Our average annual rainfall is only 11 inches.
- Carson City averages 265+ days of sunshine a year (eat your heart out, Seattle and the rest of the Pacific Northwest).
Carson City is one of only two state capitals bordered by another state. We are bordered by California, out in the middle of Lake Tahoe
- Carson City’s climate is characterized by four relatively mild seasons with low humidity. Summers are hot with an average daily temperature of 88 degrees Fahrenheit in July, and many days over 90. Snow is possible in the winter, but winters are typically mild. The coldest month of the year is January with an average daily temperature of 46 degrees Fahrenheit.
Work in Carson City
Carson City has a robust employment field with everything from political/ government job functions to retail and a very diverse manufacturing / construction industry trade. The Top 10 employers in Carson City include:
- Carson City School District 1,000 – 1,499
- Carson Tahoe Hospital 1,000 – 1,499
- City of Carson 700 – 799
- Nevada Department of Transportation 600 – 699
- Western Nevada Community College 600 – 699
- Department of Corrections 300 – 399
- Department of Motor Vehicles n 300 – 399
- Casino Fandango 300 – 399
- Legislative Counsel 300 – 399
- Carson City Nugget ) 200 – 299
What to Do in Carson City
Carson City is a place where every lifestyle and hobby can pretty much be found. From local Golf courses for all styles of golfer, to events and performance centers such as the Brewery Arts Center. And Carson City hosts many fine dining options as well as several casinos that offer variety of dining experiences.
- Nevada State Capitol – original capitol still housing the governor’s offices with museum exhibits
- Nevada State Museum – former state mint featuring rock, mining and prehistoric exhibits, and a recreated Wild West village
- Nevada State Railroad Museum – featuring the Inyo locomotive and relocated Wabuska Railroad Station
- Stewart Indian School – museum collection includes items from former faculty, students and school
- Foreman-Roberts House Museum – Gothic Revival architecture, tours available.
- Sears-Ferris House (not open to public) – home of George Ferris, inventor of the Ferris wheel
Carson City is an outdoors person’s dream, with trails for horseback riding, hiking, and biking, hunting and fishing areas, and cross-country and downhill skiing in the winter. Parks include Mills Park, Fuji Park, Long Ranch Park, Ross Gold Park, and Carson River Park. Head over to the Silver Oak or Eagle Valley Golf Course and play a few holes at two of the most beautiful courses in the area. For more information on Parks programs click here:
Carson City residents enjoy a close proximity to Lake Tahoe and easy access to both North and South Shore features. To the South of Carson City is The Carson Valley and Nevada’s oldest settlement Genoa, which provides a bit of the country feeling with Cattle, sheep and wide open views of the Sierra.
A few of the feature neighborhoods in Carson City include:
- Lakeview / Western Nevada College
- Deer Run
- Mountain St / Winnie Lane
- City Center
- Empire Ranch
- Carson Hot Springs
- Fairview Dr / S Saliman Rd
- Indian Hills
- Sonoma St / Silver Sage
- Thunder Canyon
To view these communities in person and explore open homes available in Carson City, please give me a call at 775.691.1126 and we will book a time to visit the communities that best serve your search.
Local Utilites: https://www.carson.org/Index.aspx?page=631
Contact FormWe would love to hear from you! Please fill out this form and we will get in touch with you shortly.